Monday, 14 July 2014

Work and Spirituality

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers
A new post in the series - Reminders to self



“It is the spirit or consciousness in which the work is done that matters most; the outer form can vary greatly for different natures” (Letters on Yoga, Vol 2, p. 671).
Sri Aurobindo speaks of this truth in his letters on Sadhana of Works (Karmayoga), emphasizing that all work is ultimately Divine’s work and all work is equal in the eyes of the Divine.

Throughout my ‘work’ life, since completing my Masters’ in 1988 until now, I have always been engaged in some type of academic work – either as a teacher, researcher, or even a small stint as an educational administrator. I remember a conversation with a colleague from many years ago when I was still working full-time as a university professor. I had mentioned to her that I wondered sometimes what it would be like to be a worker on an assembly line in a factory where one is simply and repeatedly and almost mechanically doing what one has been trained to do. Keep putting the screw in a certain mechanical part of an instrument, for example. One keeps doing it and doing it and doing it….and years pass by. I have reflected many times about this statement – why did it come out? Was it just an unconscious utterance? Or was there something more to it?

To read more, go to Social Potpourri


*****
Want more on this topic of Work and Spirituality? Click: So, What Are You Working On?

****
Click here to read more posts in the series, Reminders to self